Thursday, October 30, 2008

LUCK

is an intriguing creature.

Does one create his own luck? Do does it come naturally to one?

If you dig deep into self motivation books like The Secret, luck will seem more like the rewards of positivity. That life and challenges are a matter of perspective.

Remember the half glass full/ half glass empty statement?

When I was younger, I was dead set that the word luck can never be mentioned in one breath with my name. I lose badly when playing cards. I never win anything in lucky draws. I will need to make tonnes of rounds in MV searching for a vacant parking lot. I bet if I start buying ToTo numbers for the rest of my life, I wont even come close to matching one number. So sad right.

Recent events had made me reevaluate the definition of lucky.

I look at the people around me. I hear stories of people's hardship.

I feel lucky.

Let's start with real friendships. True friends are hard to come by. But the friends I have made, from the moment I stepped into this world, my neighbours, my primary school friends, my high school mates, my uni mates, my colleagues, friends I've made during camps, activities and etc... they all have proven to be the greatest of pals. Till today and for the rest of my life, you guys can always count on me for help, an ear/ shoulder.....( although I know I've always been accused of ffk-ing) :)

Then there's family. My entire family ( mom, dad, sisters, and brother) are my pillar of strength. They love me so much that it's almost impossible to fathom. I'm grateful for the bond we share, the comfortable life I've led, the support and advice they have provided me in all aspects of my life ( yan sang dou lei from my mom, career discussion and talks with my dad, unrelenting support from my sisters and brother). They are the very reason I am who I am today and I love them so very much.

My other half...well, considering looks, I guess many girls out there beat me hands down. Demureness, humour, ...I dont know.. what else? I guess I'm just an ordinary girl. Really thankful for the relationships I have been through that had help me grow and learn. I do know what I want know.. finally, after months of wallowing in the gloom of quarter life crisis, I'd broken through the wall of obscurity. You know... it's true.

When you know, you know. There comes a time when there is no need for who and how and why. All the pieces come together and you are suddenly ready to take a giant leap. Amazing right? That's why I feel ..again.. lucky.

Then there's one's career. It's pretty hard to explain. I do try hard, really hard. Yet sometimes it's too good to be true. I'm blessed with great bosses. One after another. Great colleagues. Great support from the management. Great opportunities. Great benefits and compensations. ( Of course I'm sure many have better then I do, but I'm pretty contented. No, MORE than contented.)

If you watch SATC, take Charlotte, and you will know how i feel. Is this too good to be true. Is something bad lurking at the corner waiting to jump on me? I dont know.

I have stepped on some shoes, hurt some people, on occasions not be as good a person as I want to be.

Yet one after another, good things keep happening. Thank you for blessing me and please keep doing so..!!!

I really dont mind not winning stuff in lucky draws. :)

4 comments:

Hooi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hooi said...

Maybe there is one more thing you need to put it on count...
"Karma"... You know what I'm saying?

Eunice said...

you're lucky :) just minus the lucky draws.

Satkuru said...

i have to agree with hooi on karma but at the end of the day i think it comes down to being positive. before secret, i always skeptical on the idea of being positive all the time. cause at times one would have to be practical.

"One particularly interesting event occurred when I was eight. As a kid, I was always climbing trees, poles, and literally hanging around upside down from the rafters of our lake house. So, it came to no surprise for my dad to find me at the top of a 30-foot tree swinging back and forth. My little eight-year-old brain didn't realize the tree could break or I could get hurt. I just thought it was fun to be up so high.

My older cousin, Tammy, was also in the same tree. She was hanging on the first big limb, about ten feet below me. Tammy's mother also noticed us at the exact time my dad did. About that time a huge gust of wind came over the tree. I could hear the leaves start to rattle and the tree begin to sway. I remember my dad's voice over the wind yell, 'Bart, Hold on tightly.' So I did. The next thing I know, I heard Tammy screaming at the top of her lungs, laying flat on the ground. She had fallen out of the tree.

I scampered down the tree to safety. My dad later told me why she fell and I did not.. Apparently, when Tammy's mother felt the gust of wind, she yelled out, 'Tammy, don't fall!' And Tammy did... fall.

My dad then explained to me that the mind has a very difficult time processing a negative image. In fact, people who rely on internal pictures cannot see a negative at all. In order for Tammy to process the command of not falling, her nine-year-old brain had to first imagine falling, then try to tell the brain not to do what it just imagined. Whereas, my eight-year-old brain instantly had an internal image of me hanging on tightly."

LOL i think i am too free already, copy paste story some more :P